Harvesting zucchini from your garden? Why not make zucchini boats for dinner tonight.
Zucchini is really a fruit, but most of us think of it as a vegetable. Zucchinis are part of the gourd family which also includes cucumber, pumpkin, squash, cantaloupe, honeydew and watermelon.
Colours and shapes of zucchini vary from yellow to green, small to large.
Zucchini is heart healthy– Full of fibre, zucchini helps to lower cholesterol and contains high levels of vitamin A and C as well as potassium which helps to reduce blood pressure.
Zucchini is super in soups, stews, casseroles or eaten raw in salads. I like to lightly saute it in olive oil and garlic, but tonight I decided to make zucchini boats. These boats are stuffed with tomato, onion and basil with melted Daiya Mozzarella Shreds on top.
- 3 medium sized zucchini
- 1/4 purple onion, sliced
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 8-10 fresh basil leaves
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Daiya mozzarella shreds
- Slice zucchini down the middle and with a spoon scoop out the middle making boats
- Place extra zucchini in a food processor
- Add onion, basil and salt into the food processor with the zucchini, and pulse lightly to shred
- Fill zucchini boats with mixture and top with tomatoes
- Place stuffed zucchini boats on cookie sheet and bake 350F for 20 minutes
- Add Daiya shreds on top and broil for a few minutes to melt cheese
Original Recipe by Shirley Plant