Vegan Tortiere for the holidays is a great twist on the traditional French Canadian Tortiere. The savory meat pie that is often served on Christmas Eve doesn’t always suits the guests who are vegan. This vegan tortiere can be made ahead of time. Simply warm it up and serve with a salad or steamed vegetables and you have a delicious, healthy meal that everyone will love.
If you don’t need it to be gluten free, simply replace the flours below with spelt flour and it will make a lovely fluffy pie crust.
A pie filled with rice, millet and beans is healthy and filling, so you won’t want to fill up on too many desserts after the main meal.
- 2/3 cup sorghum flour
- 2/3 cup arrowroot or tapioca starch
- 2/3 cup millet flour
- 1/2 cup brown rice flour
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp guar gum or xanthan gum
- 1 cup cold shortening ( I used earth balance)
- approx 10 tbsp cup cold water
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- In a bowl mix dry ingredients together. Cut in shortening. Add in vinegar and cold water slowly and stir until it forms into a ball. I like to use my hands. You may not need all the water.Divide dough into 2 balls and wrap separatley in plastic wrap and put in the fridge for at least 15 minutes. Roll out dough on floured parchment paper or pastry cloth. I like to use brown rice flour to dust my pastry cloth. This will yield 2- 10 inch pie shells with tops or one 12 inch pie. I adapted the pie crust recipe from allergyfreealaska.com
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- olive oil
- 1/4 cup gluten free flour ( I use brown rice flour)
- 1 tbsp summer savoury
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 1/2 tsp cloves
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 1 – 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1 cup cooked millet
- 1 can pinto beans (398ml)
- In a large frying pan saute onions and garlic in olive oil until onions are transparent. Add in flour and stir. Slowly add water and herbs and stir until mixture thickens. Turn off heat and add in cooked grains and mashed beans. Mix well and fill pie shells. Cover with pie crust and make slits in the top of your crust. Bake at 350F for 45 minutes.