This sweet and sour chicken recipe is so easy to make. Family and friends will love it!
It is free from dairy, gluten, yeast, corn, sugar, eggs, soy, and nuts for those of you who have food sensitivities. But it is still packed with flavour. Serve with basmati rice or with a cabbage or tossed salad.
Sweet and Sour Chicken
- 2 pieces boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup carrots, chopped
- 1/2 large red pepper, chopped
- olive oil
1 cup unsweetened pineapple juice
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp arrowroot powder or cornstarch (use arrowroot to thicken if you are avoiding corn)
1/4 cup water
1 tbsp tomato paste (optional) if you are avoiding night shades leave this out
- In a frying pan with enough olive oil to cover the bottom of pan, cook chicken over low to medium heat, stirring frequently for approximately 10 minutes. Remove chicken and set aside.
- Sauté onions for a few minutes in a little olive oil or use a little water or vegetable broth. Add chopped celery, carrots, red pepper and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes. Then add chicken pieces.
- Mix sauce ingredients in a bowl and pour over chicken and vegetables, and simmer for a few minutes to let sauce thicken.
If you are looking for more healthy recipes that are free from gluten, dairy, corn, eggs, soy and other common food allergens be sure to check out my two cookbooks. Finally… Food I Can Eat! and Finally… Paleo Food I Can Eat!