Stop littering now, Please! Whether it is a cigarette butt or a coffee cup, it needs to stop now!
The definition of litter is waste products that have been disposed of improperly in an undesirable location.
Whenever I drive my car around the city I look to the side of the road, the on and off ramps, and when I stop at a stop sign.
What I see is disgusting, disheartening and sad beyond belief.
When I stop at a stop light and the car in front of me dumps his trash or a cigarette butt out his window I want to get out of my car and run over and ask them, “do you dump your trash in your living room?” “Do you dump your cigarette butts out on your carpet or hardwood floors at home?”
How have we become a society of human beings that litter every day? Why do human beings not care about our planet and what we are doing to it?
We all see the photos on facebook with whales found with tonnes of plastic in their bellies. Turtles or ducks with plastic cords around their necks or mouths.
We as humans are doing a terrible job and we all need to be ashamed of ourselves. We need to make everyone accountable.
Why littering is dangerous
- Litter causes accidents- trash on the highway, bags blowing around can land on a windshield and cause and accident
- It’s expensive- millions of dollars are spent of cleaning up litter
- Degrades natural areas and kills plants and animals
- Killing the oceans, rivers and streams
- Cigarette butts are a serious threat to the environment
- Litter spoils water quality- waste seeps into the soil and causes ground water pollution
- Littering can carry germs, bacteria and viruses
Ways to stop littering:
- If you go to a coffee shop why not take your own mug or thermos and ask them to fill it up instead of getting a disposable cup.
- Put a bag in your car so you have somewhere to dump your trash.
- If you see someone dump their Tim Hortons or Starbucks cup on the ground ask them to put it in the trash bin or pick it up and do it yourself.
- If you are out walking take a plastic bag with you and pick up trash along your walk- I do this every day when I walk my dog.
Please, please, please help us to clean up our planet!!!
I’d love to know what you are doing to help clean up our planet?