These Portobello Sloppy Joes were a hit tonight with my husband! He has even asked me to make them again, so that is always a good sign.
Mushrooms make great substitutes for hamburger buns, especially if you’re following a paleo diet or Whole 30 program.
Portobello mushrooms contain a high amount of fiber and are low in calories, so this makes for a nutritious low carb meal. Portobello mushrooms also contain potassium, phosphorous, sodium and B vitamins.
Give the recipe a try and comment below- did your family love this version of Sloppy Joes?
- 1.5 lbs ground meat
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp dry mustard powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 3-4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 can (398ml) crushed tomatoes
- 3 portobello mushrooms
- In a pan fry up meat, onions and garlic in a little olive oil. Add in chili powder, mustard, salt and pepper. Stir and cook for 10 minutes, stirring it frequently. Add in tomatoes and reduce to low and put lid on and cook for another 10 minutes
- Once meat is done transfer to a bowl and cover to keep warm
- Wash and remove stems from mushrooms.
- In the same pan add a little more olive oil and cook mushrooms over medium heat for a few minutes on each side.
- Place mushrooms on a plate and fill with tomato meat mixture.
Original Recipe By Shirley Plant