Gingerbread and Christmas seem to go hand in hand. I love the smell of baking during the holidays and the fond memories it brings back of cooking with my Mum during the Christmas season.
Since I have food allergies and sensitivities I am always recreating recipes that are healthier and made with ingredients that I can have, plus it allows me to share my new recipes with all of you.
Cookies, pies and sweets are a plenty during the holidays so that is why I love to make desserts with healthy ingredients. Using fruit to sweeten instead of white refined sugar is always a better option when baking and often I will make my own nut flour by grinding nuts in my Vitamix
Gingerbread cookies are one of my favourite cookies as I am able to add ingredients like fresh ginger and blackstrap molasses which are not only tasty, but healthy.
Ginger is a natural anti-inflammatory and pain reliever and I always have fresh ginger root in my fridge as I boil it daily and drink ginger tea.
Molasses contain vitamins and minerals such as iron, calcium, magnesium, B vitamins and selenium. Molasses also are absorbed more slowly that other sweeteners so it won’t spike your blood sugar as much as white sugar.
Gingerbread has been made for centuries and different recipes have been passed down through the generations.
A few months ago I received some products from Enjoy Life to sample. One of the boxes was a gluten free flour mix and there was also a pancake waffle mix. I decided I was going to make some gingerbread cookies using the pancake and waffle mix and they turned out great.
Enjoy Life products are free of the top allergens; wheat, gluten, milk, peanuts, tree nuts, mustard, sulfites, eggs, sesame, soy, fish and shellfish.
I have on many occasions used their dairy free chocolate chips but this was a first using their flour blend.
Here is the recipe so you can give them a try.
- 1/4 cup Earth Balance organic whipped spread
- 1/4- 1/3 cup maple syrup ( depending on your sweet tooth)
- 3 tbsp molasses
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp cloves
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 3/4 tsp fresh ginger
- 2 tbsp ground flax seed mixed in 5 tbsp water- let sit for 10 minutes
- 1 tsp baking soda
- pinch sea salt
- 1 1/2 cup Enjoy Life Pancake-Waffle Mix
- a few raisins
- In a bowl mix earth balance, maple syrup, molasses, spices and flax seed mixture until well combined
- Add in flour, soda and salt and mix well.
- Place in the fridge for 30 minutes
- Remove and roll dough into balls and flatten into cookies or cut into gingerbread men
- Add raisins to decorate gingerbread men
- Bake 350F for 10 minutes or until done
A perfect day for me to sit and enjoy a gingerbread cookie with a cup a tea as the snow falls outside