Mom’s always ask me what can I serve my kids for breakfast that they will eat and that will fill them up until lunch time?
Here is a recipe I have just created that I think will fit the bill. Original Recipe by Shirley Plant
- ½ cup Bob’s Red Mill gluten- free oats
- ¼ cup walnut pieces
- ¼ cup raw pepitas
- ¼ cup raw sunflower seeds
- ¼ cup raisins
- ¼ cup dried cranberries ( I use the juice sweetened ones)
- 2 tbsp ground chia or flaxseed
- 2 tbsp hempseed
- 1 cup puffed rice cereal
- 1 cup nut butter or unsweetened peanut butter
- ¼- 1/3 cup honey
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl. If your nut butter is dry from being in the fridge you might have to add a little bit of melted coconut oil, or water to make sure mixture binds. Or you can leave your nut butter out for an hour before making this. I used freshly made peanut butter so it was quite runny. Form into patties and store in a glass container. At breakfasttime put in a large bowl and pour allowable milk over top and enjoy.
- The combination of nuts, hempseed and flax will fill them up and keep them going. The added raisins, cranberries and honey will give it a little sweetness without over powering it and sending their blood sugar soaring as most cereals do.