Delicious Chai Dessert Squares are the perfect alternative to pumpkin pie., especially for those who say they don’t like pumpkin pie like my sister.
Last year I was creating recipes for my new cookbook, Finally… Paleo Food I Can Eat! I wanted to make a festive dessert for Thanksgiving that was dairy free, gluten free, vegan and free from chocolate as one of our family members is allergic to chocolate. I know, a hardship for sure.
I decided that I would include pumpkin in the recipe because for me pumpkin just goes with Thanksgiving.
My Chai Dessert Squares were a hit and now I make them every Thanksgiving and everyone loves them! They are so easy to make, here’s the recipe, let me know if your family loves them as much as mine does.
- 1 1/2 cup pecans
- 8 large medjool dates
- 2 tbsp melted coconut oil
- 3/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup cashew butter
- 1/4 cup full fat coconut milk
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- 1 tsp fresh ginger, grated
- 1/3 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- In a food processor, mix dates and nuts, adding coconut oil slowly until mixture comes together
- Press nut mixture into a square dish
- In a food processor mix pumpkin, cashew butter, coconut milk, maple syrup, cinnamon, cloves, ginger and coconut flakes.
- Spoon over nut crust, sprinkle with shredded coconut, cover and refrigerate overnight.
Original Recipe by Shirley Plant