This broccoli salad is a great end of summer treat as a side dish to a meal or even as lunch on its own. Broccoli contains many beneficial health properties and is a great food to add into your diet, yet many will only eat it covered in cheese sauce. Broccoli helps to lower cholesterol levels, aids in the bodies detoxification processes, and contains high levels of vitamin A and K which help keep our vitamin D metabolism in balance. The best way to obtain the most nutrients from broccoli is to steam it lightly for only a few minutes or less.
- 1 head broccoli, cut into florets
- 1/4 cup carrots, shredded
- 1/4 cup red onion, finely diced
- raw sunflower or pumpkin seeds
- 1 avocado
- 3/4 cup raw cashews, soaked for a couple of hours
- cloves of roasted garlic
- 1/2 of 1 lemon, juiced
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- 2/3 cup water
- In a large pot add about 2 inches of water. Bring to a boil and throw broccoli in and blanch for 1 minute. Remove from heat, drain and place in a large bowl and set aside to cool. You really only want the broccoli very lightly cooked, still crunchy.
- Drain cashews and in a high speed blender mix cashews, avocado, garlic, lemon juice, sea salt and water. Adding water in slowly to get the consistency you like. I like the dressing fairly thick, like mayonnaise
- Add carrots, onion and seeds in with broccoli and mix in cashew dressing and serve.